Relay for Life of Clearwater Begins Friday May 13th
With cancer striking one in every two men, and one in every three women, many lives are impacted by the disease – but the Relay for Life movement is fighting back! The Relay for Life of Clearwater theme is “Make Cancer History.”
Relay for Life of Clearwater event will take place in Coachman Park Friday, May 13thbeginning at 6:00 p.m., and goes until and Saturday, May 14th. This promises to be abig RFL event – with over 500 people expected to attend… and even Macy’s given the challenge to bring an additional 500! Pre-event fundraising has already reached over 30K (go teams!) and the targeted goal is over 70K.
Will RFL make their target? Read below and you decide! (JoTo is betting good money on it, but the winning bets all go to Relay for Life – so we aim to win no matter what!)
- Volunteer driven teams do most of their fundraising prior to the event, but some teams also hold creative fundraisers at their camp sites during the 24 hour Relay for Life event.
- Over 30 participating teams in this year’s Relay for Life of Clearwater have signed up to participate in the event, including: Starbucks, Clearwater High School Key Club, Target, Clearwater Police Department, Macy’s and the City of Clearwater.
- Relay for Life of Clearwater is sponsored by Dr. Cesar Lara M.D. Center for VITAS innovative Hospice Care
- Relay for Life is the largest fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Because of Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society has raised over $3 billion to fund cancer research activities.
- A silent auction will be held on site at the event to raise funds for the American Cancer Society.
- Blues band Red Hot ‘N’ Rollin’ will play during the opening of Relay for Life of Clearwater.
- Relay for Life will honor cancer survivors through a Survivor’s Dinner provided by Crabby Bill’s and a survivor’s lap.
- A luminaria ceremony will be held to honor those who have lost their lives to cancer.
- Relay for Life raises awareness of cancer and the importance of cancer screening – in an attempt to prevent preventable deaths from occurring.
- According to the American Cancer Society, cancer is the second most common form of death in the United States, accounting for one out of four deaths.
- 569,490 Americans are expected to die from cancer this year alone, totaling more than 1,500 people a day.
- The Relay for Life movement began in May of 1985 when surgeon Dr. Gordon Klatt honored his patients by walking around the track at the University of Puget Sound for 24 hours, symbolizing how cancer never sleeps. Friends paid $25 to walk or run with Dr. Klatt for 30 minutes throughout the night, and he ended up raising $27,000 for cancer research.
You can still come – register and be a part of the momentum! More information can be found on the Relay for Life of Clearwater website www.relayforlife.org/clearwaterfl
[Or call Tammy Ashe at the Clearwater Relay for Life at (727)-812-7003. Tell her JoTo sent you!]